Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Confessions of a Bargain -aholic


Ok, this is hard to admit. But I am Kristina and I am a Bargain-aholic. It is true. I won't go into all the specifics. But there are clothes in my closet that still have the tags on. In my defense I "revamped" my ward robe over the last 2 years and before that I hadn't had any new clothes since High School and a few in college. (I am 31 so that is 10 + years) FYI I do NOT count the $60 maternity wardrobe I bought at Savers (like goodwill) as "New". Then I was either pregnant or breast feeding with beasts that wouldn't fit into a shirt for really 3 years - so the last 2 years are the only ones that I have been able to "enjoy" my body again.

Not to mention the fun of living in a 700 sq foot apartment and off a teacher salary THEN moving "up" in the world to a house and having a sugar daddy for a hubby instead of being his sugar momma. Anyways, long story short, I have had a lot of fun shopping the last few years.

I recently set the goal not to buy me anymore clothes. My PROBLEM is that I can go into Kohls with my 30% off coupon and find cute shirts or pants for $3 each. Sometimes I do pay $5 but I NEVER pay over $9 for a shirt. OR $10 for pants. I admit it is fun when people are like, "cute shirt" and I get to say "thanks $3" :) Kohls is not my only weekness. I can find deals like that at sears - and target - wherever. I am just patient.

Anyways, I regret SOME of my purchases, but not all. But now I realize it is TIME TO TURN OVER a NEW LEAF. I need to save up for a bigger house so I can buy more stuff. (I am kidding about the last honey -he reads my blogs :)) I have never put us in "debt" we have never not payed off a credit card in full every month. BUT I have NOT SAVED as I should.

So last month I have vowed to eat up the "3 month supply" of food storage in our pantry and only buy the food I need that the grocery store. (After all I have well over a year supply of freeze dried food. - no I won't share :)) I haven't bought things I don't need. Oh yeah - another confession - I have a year supply of EVERYTHING. I do mean EVERYTHING. Laundry soap - TP - even birthday presents for friends, kids and family on and prob a 2 year supply of baby shower gifts.. I love deals. It's ridiculous. (Yeah, if you are ever in a bind and need any of the above gifts for 5 - 8 bucks but look like you spent $15. I am willing to sell my stock at the super low prices I got em for :) LOL.

So it's a strange place for me to be in. We don't NEED anything. I don't need gifts, I don't need home decor (I could always do more, but have vowed to stop.) After all, I have projects I have not completed you know.

HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE: It has only been a month, and I am embarrassed to say how much money I have already "not spent." I won't say because my hubby reads this blog :) LOL. And I SWEAR that I don't spend as much as I saved last month. But ya know - if you aren't out shopping - you don't buy the Wendy's lunch - even though I only spent $4 total -you don't buy - yep you don't buy. :)

So this is a year quest for me. I realize I have "stock piled" for long enough that this is NOT as hard as it would be had I decided to do this a year or two ago. But I challenge you to do a little better. You will be so happy with the results. I really don't buy that much - but I realized it does add up. End of the seasons are worse for me :) LOL because of the clearance. :)

SO I RAN ACROSS THIS
http://asamom.ning.com/profiles/blogs/freedom-friday-jan-22-2010?xg_source=msg_mes_network

and let me tell you it is a great idea. In short it is a 21 day "financial fast" and I think everyone should try it. I think the rules are a little harsh - and I would bend a couple. (ie if I cook dinner at home every night for a week - I earned a pizza night :) But besides the 2 rules I would bend - I would STRICTLY keep to the rest. You might be surprised to see what you "don't spend". I was flabergasted after just 1 month. I am curious to see if it is the same for next month. :)

I am motivated. And it is liberating to see a BIG savings. Try it, I am curious how you do and how it works for you! Let me know! I just MIGHT share my "didn't spends" with you. :)


4 comments:

tammy said...

You should teach a RS class. I am a bargain lover too, but probably not as good as you. As we've made more, of course I've spent more. Funny how that works. I have gotten better at saving though. I found that if there is something that I am saving towards, it is much easier for me to save than if there isn't. I like buying gifts when you find them at good deals too.

Suzy said...

I would love to hear how much you save on that plan. I'm a barginaholic too. Sometimes it does get a little ridiculous, but we had to make it work with no money for a long time, and its hard to break habits. I also find that I feel very guilty if I buy something "full price", or even sale and not the extra 50% off clearance prices that I'm used to. Please share more.

Arnett's said...

The link didnt work for me. So uh what is it...

The McLemore's said...

I am so bad, well I was. But now all the money I have not been spending on clothes, I have the same 5 maternity shirts and 3 maternity pants I have been wearing for the last 7 months, goes to buying baby stuff! It is making me crazy that we are not saving and that little Pudge costs so much!!! I think when I am home and working part time, not wanting to take a baby out that maybe we will be back on top with saving again. I wish I would have started saving back when we had all kinds of extra money!