Thursday, July 29, 2010

My hubbies Cereal


I got home a little late last night and Dustin says, "So, I used that 1/2 gallon of milk on my cereal today. . ."

I began laughing instantly, "That wasn't milk, it was buttermilk!"

"No it wasn't, but it was OLD! I poured it all over my cereal and it was all chunky, I looked at the code date and thought, sick! where did she get this from!? I threw it all away!"

Still laughing I insisted, "It wasn't chunky, just grainy. It was buttermilk, and I froze it a while ago, so I could make cookies and muffins. I looked on the internet and you can freeze buttermilk, it just is sometimes grainy."

"It didn't say buttermilk."

"Yeah it did, you just didn't see it." I was laughing my head off. In fact as we sat there that night spontanious bits of laughter would slip out, just thinking about him pouring buttermilk on his cereal. I secretly wished I could have seen it.

I got up and did dishes, and found the 1/2 gallon on the counter. I searched the label for the word "buttermilk" to show my hubby that there were no worries.

I wish I hadn't have done that.

There was no word buttermilk. I was both a little grossed out, but mostly annoyed. That thing had been taking up precious freezer room for months now and it was just stinking milk? I had paid a buttermilk price for some stinking MILK? I had made a whole batch of bran muffins and two batches of sugar cookie dough that I planned of freezing and using when we need cookies quick. URRGH!

Now I am afraid to share the cookies with others - so my emergency cookie stash won't work out so well. It tastes fine to me . . . but I will admit that eating my muffin this morning - it seemed to taste a little different. Really the taste is the same - but just the fact of knowing, ya know?

So if I offer you muffins or sugar cookies, I would hesitate for at least 3 months - that is how long it will take us to get through the stash :) Maybe I will make some for the boy scouts - they can eat anything! :) and only ONE mom reads my blog :) he he. I am still annoyed.

2 comments:

tammy said...

I'm telling Connor to refuse all treats from you for at least three months.

And you can freeze buttermilk? I had no idea. Not that I use it that much.

RONNIE said...

Remember..next time just add vinegar to regular milk to get butter milk..or buy the dry mix that you just add to your milk. That way you don't take up extra room. PS your a doofus.