Friday, July 9, 2010

Oh what do you do in the summertime?

Mia is super in to Jessie the cowgirl right now. :) Those are her bday gifts.

So one reason I was fine having a third girl, was because my house was complete. I was all decorated and didn't have to change a thing. Well, that didn't happen SOOO what I have been up to is sewing like CRAZY and decorating. My sisters have been curious - so here are some pictures of what we did. I tried to REUSE and recycle as MUCH as possible.

First off the Girls room. Thanks to my mom for helping me finish it. I just like to have someone go, "nah, that's too high, or that looks good" So it was wonderful to have her visiting and to have her help too. :)

The girls wanted to be in most of the pictures. :)
Mia is always re arranging the desk top decor - she "decorates" all the time. In fact she said in a preschool paper that decorating was her favorite thing to do with me. (I think she was esp. talking about for Christmas etc. :) But she always wanted to help with this stuff too. Behind her is a picture of Mary holding baby Jesus, Mia is Obsessed with Mary and Jesus. :) Not much "new" here - pre existing.
The ridiculously massive amount of bows I have made. I still want to make more. There is soooo much cute ribbon out there! There is a whole other display of flower bows - and I don't even have all of them up - and I just learned how to make fabric flowers - oh help me! :)

This WAS Mia's room. She had a full size bed - same curtains and basic style. I bought something off craigslist and saw that he had some bunk bed frames too. I actually liked them (sure I would rather have the perfect new white ones - all girly - but I am practical.) Got the bunk bed frames for $80 on a whim really. Bought some NICE mattresses that ended up being a little HUGE and TALL for bunk beds - but they are comfy!

So after searching and returning SOOO many comforters, I ended up making my own because I wanted to keep the curtains and shams I made from before - of course they don't have the material anymore so I had to improvise. Turned out ok, but I would do it differently if I were to do it again. And I am not sure that I would have HAND quilted both of them. That took 5 days. But I hate tied quilts so what can I say? :)


UM WHO SAYS THAT bunk beds can't have bed skirts? I cut up the old one from the full bed and THUMB TACKED it on. yes THUM TACKED! (There is SOOO much storage under that bottom bunk! I got these great little wagon-like-on wheels toy storage bins - plus more bins behind. Come to think about it, those storage bins cost me as much as the comforters!)

The butter flies are from the dollar store -except the cast iron - that is a recycle. Adds a whimsy feeling. :)

The "my prince did come. . . he's my daddy" is my favorite. That was from before too.



The curtains I had to keep.

PS NOT a fan of the doll. Hate those things - but my daughter loves it.

The dresser I got from Ma in law for FREE (Thanks!) It had gold trim and handles. A quick $2 spray paint job (didn't even sand) and brown spray paint on the handles did the trick. My girls love the handles I made on the other old cheap dresser (also from mom in law years ago - used to be part of MY bedroom set. :) Below:

So I did it to both so they wouldn't fight. The lamp was a STEAL at $5 years ago. :)

Now, I admit that this room is a little OVER decorated. But I was combining TWO pink rooms to one. So it was store it or hang it. So we put these on the shelf for their flower bows and hats from Kaylee's room.


So shortly after I did this "make over" we should really call it a "combine over". . . :) We found our AC busted (in AZ peps) and we did a quick fix on it - but should really replace it to the tune of $5k which will (if it's really the price) will pretty much wipe out our savings. SO, even though I FEEL like I did this make over cheap - because of the bunk beds. . . it really wasn't. :)

My cost: Bunk beds $80 Parts that were missing $10 Mattresses $300 Making my own new quilts $ 56 Sheets $16 Mattress covers $ 24 (that's the price of two each) SO it added up. :) Even though the BEDS & Linnens and $2 in spray paint were the ONLY things I bought.


SO, remember I am feeling BROKE. So now it is on to Talin (new baby boys room) I have bought and returned so many things for this.

I started out making the crib set because I couldn't find anything that I liked (or that I would pay for) so this is what I did:



Searching on line for a quilt I liked took a little - but trying to make a pattern from it when you can only see 1/2 of it draped off the bed took some time for sure! :)


I was ok hand quilting this one - didn't take as long :)



Then I bought this head board off of craigslist for $20. It inspired me. It is an antique. I am not CRAZY about the do-dad on top - but I love the rustic feel. But I LOVED the price.:)

So it inspired me to do his name above his crib like this:

Thanks mom for buying that saddle/wagon wheel. I LOVE it. But I didn't $20 heart it. :) As a GIFT, I HEART it. :) PS The star says "sheriff" :)

I just wanted some horseshoes on my wall with that bed. Never found any. But I did find:

It's not above the bed. I don't even know if I will ever be able to hang anything from those super cute boots!


I didn't want to get too themed - but I couldn't resist RE MAKING my daughters pink flower mobile into a cowboy one. My cost on this one : stars $2 total Hats $1 total left over spray paint and left over fabric free. So considering I saw mobiles for $48 I think $3 is great. And I can TOTALLY make it back into the girls with NO PROBLEM. :) IGNORE the flower "nut" that holds it on. I do. he he

Not sure what I am putting in the upper box. I will find something. . . OH YEAH Dresser - $15 at a ward auction (also came with a book shelf I gave a way - stupid stupid stupid!)

The shelf isn't complete - it's a work in progress. I love the boot - but it's not staying there. Just sitting on an existing nail waiting for inspiration.


Thanks mom in law for this rustic sports piece. I love it because it's rustic, and ties in, but says "I am not committed to a single THEME."

So this is now my guest room when I have to sleep them on more than two beds. and my feed baby in the middle of the night cause the queen bed in my room is crowded! :) Anyways, here is the break down cause I am all about bargains.

$20 headboard, bed - hand me down FREE, cream eyelet/lacy pillowcases $6, bedskirt $13, brown suede comforter from Mia's room before (but it was $20 with the shams that are in the girls room), brown pillow kirkland's - $9 the other three pillows I made for $24, curtains $7, throw & rug FREE from wedding. :) TOTAL GUEST PART make over $79.


I just have to say I will NEVER (Ok I will) but I hated making this Neck roll pillow. It TOOK WAY longer that I thought. I had no pattern, and just used left over batting from the girls beds. The white frill I love. But was a little painful - got a knit jersey sheet set for $3 and cut it up and gathered it etc. The rope piping on the pillow you can BARELY see was some ugly tie backs that came with the curtains. So the price was right, but the TIME killed me on this one. :)

Total make over for the baby's part and wall decor :
bumper (I bought one from good will for $2 and washed and recovered it.)
So all the bedding was about $40 skirt, quilt and bumper. But the stinking sheets were $7 each. I want 3 sets because I have two mattresses in there - (easy place to store the toddler mattress for the toddler bed. ;) so $21.
Rope $8, moblie $3, boot board $15, Tractor $12, crates $12, bookshelf FREE, spur $3, truck FREE (From ma in law) the rest I had laying around. (I know it needs more. . . there is a boot I have my eye on at Kirklands for $5. but I have a 10% off coupon. LOL

Total: $104. But would be more if it weren't for ma and ma in law :) They contributed $50.

Dang - doesn't sound as impressive now. :)

So the last part of my project is this wall:


I got the clock at good will for $5 and love it. But I might have to repaint it. I have some old glass less wood frames I am thinking of painting and hanging things from. Spent another $5 at goodwill yesterday on those things that might work.

BUT I CAN'T decide, do I leave the wood plain wood for this room or paint it a color (for my wood frames.) what do you think. I know there is no picture - but just imagine. :) I know the clock is in a stupid place. It too is on an existing nail hanging for inspirations.

If I do leave the frames plane wood, the items to hang, what color do I paint them? Do I need to paint the clock because of the wall color? What nick nack do I put in the bottom of the clock on that shelf?


Well, if you read it all you are a crazy saint! :) he he. I know it was long - but this IS my journal. I need my kids to know how thrifty there mom was. :) LOL.




5 comments:

Joel and Lisa Wagenman said...

Okay, I have to admit, that was long so I didn't read the whole thing :), but I'm sure you did all those amazing make overs on a dime. I LOVE Talin's room - I've always wanted to do a cowboy themed room. SUPER cute!!!!! And your quilts are amazing!

Genevieve Beck said...

Loved the pictures. :) Very cute and clever and those same butterflies are on Britta's walls as well. :)

tammy said...

I read every word. I love what you done. The quilts and bedding are so cute!! In both rooms. I love the butterflies and all the girly stuff. When it comes to girls, I don't think there is ever too much.

Love love the cowboy boots and the rope name. And the mobile? -brilliant. You might think about painting the frames each in a different color that matches the bedding. And possibly the clock, too. I love hanging empty frames. In fact, I think I have three walls in different parts of my house that I've done that now that I think of it. As for what to put on the shelf and on the clock, I kind of just have to be out and see something and think, that's it! You may find a horseshoe somewhere, or even an old canning jar or small lantern or something else that would go with the room. Even though you don't want a "theme". Have you checked out an antique store? There used to be one on Williamsfield and Higley when we first moved to AZ that I loved, but it's gone now. I found many treasures there and would always drag Taylor around with me.

Wow, this is a really long comment. Anyway, love what you've done to both rooms!

RONNIE said...

LOVe the girls comforters. And I love the love the cowboy hook hangers!! I will need those when you decide to change the room theme.

Lisa said...

Great job! And it IS impressive, considering all you did. And that it is all customized to what you wanted. You're awesome.