Ever notice how much you use something AFTER you can't use it anymore? I mean really, how much do you do with left hand anyways? EVERYTHING but pick your nose. Seriously, I can't even put my hair back in a real ponytail right now. I have NO idea what I am going to do with my hair on Sunday. . . hmmm.
So, I so smartly did this DURING preschool teaching 5 kids. Luckily they didn't see the disaster. I decided to whip up a quick two batches of play dough during their play time. So that they could mix yellow and blue dough to make green. Then trace with the dough the letter D and d we were working on. While measuring the BoiLiNg water into a measuring cup, I OVER SPILLED it (hand slipped) and I poured about 2 cups of boiling water all over my fingers!
What do you do when you burn your hand? . . . Run it under cold water of course! PROBLEM: there is no such thing as cold water coming out of your faucet in Arizona in the summer! I discovered this as the water forced on of the quickly forming blisters to pop. I quickly rigged an ice water bucket for my hand. Finished teaching the rest of preschool with REGULAR - NOT homemade play dough. They didn't get to see yellow and blue make green. They just got green dough. (It was the color of the week.)
I realized part way through teaching that it was pretty bad and called my dear friend Janel and she dropped everything and got me some BURN JELL by water jell at Walgreens. IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOME ON HAND - I would get some! It is great. ;) It helped a TON. But I could tell it was still pretty bad. I finally gave in to the raging prego hormones that were making me cry and went to the doctor. (I mean seriously, I can give birth to kids - but cry over this?!)
I am glad I went. They gave me this amazing cream that they put on burn victims etc. It seems to be holding the dead skin (black in the picture) on long enough for the underlying skin to heal up nicely. If I even brush up against something the skin sluffs off though - so I have to be super careful! And of course my hubby is out of town this weekend at the BYU football game. Thank you mother in law for washing my girls hair today! :)
Enough about me - lets just say burns are SUPER painful. Honestly they would be feeling ok, but just walking out in the 110 degree AZ heat for 10 seconds would make them feel as they were just burnt again! I have a new respect for burn victims for reals.
So the black is all skin that is dead and will come off. Most of it has sluffed off the first finger. . . the white stuff is cream. but under there, all black. YUM YUM!
6 comments:
This makes me want to throw up. That looks disgusting. I'm glad you are ok though. It could have been worse, like on your face or something :)
YOUCH!!!!!!!!! I feel your pain - I dumped a bowl of Ramen Noodle soup hot off the burner all over my arm once. But on your fingers - - - yowza! Hope you can pick your nose soon :)
Man, you really got yourself good! That looks so so painful. I didn't realize you'd burned yourself that bad! Ouch.
Kristina! I am so sorry! That looks horrible and cannot be fun to deal with. I hope you heal quickly!
OUCH! That is horrible! I am so sorry! Who knew teaching preschool was so dangerous.
good news is halloween is just around the corner.
Post a Comment