Saturday, October 10, 2009

My White Trash Budget Decor

So I told my sister that I would post pictures of my most recent projects so here we go. :)
This is a Square Wreath I bought at Good will for $1. It was a bit scary at first, but I painted some of the styrofoam "berries" that had lost their coating with fingernail polish (thanks Lisa) and it looks good from a distance. If you get close, like when you are opening the door to come in, it may appear as though a dog chewed on a few. :) But hey. The "Harvest" was made to hang from a hook, but my Wreath needed something, so this little $2 item I painted in 5 min worked nicely. The ribbon was 50 YARDS for 4 bucks So I put this whole wreath done at $3.08 Not bad. :)



Next on the Right we have my dollar store scarecrows from two years ago. They normally adorn my door, but had to move over for the new wreath. I decided to put them up like scare crows are supposed to be. Problem: No stick high enough to keep them from being watered - so I put an old broken swiffer handle with a old broken broom handle. Attaching together with rolled up hard plastic and good old duck tape. Impressive because The poles were the same size and wouldn't fit inside each other. So for $2 and some brain power, cute enough. But that was all ruined when my sister called them poll dancing gay scarecrows. NOT COOL. :)



Here on the left is a cute little candle holder I found at ross. I thought 6 candles was over kill. So I recycled and old hydranga arrangement and quite like the finished product. The candles are kid smart, because they are LED battery powered - but-flicker-but-dipped-in-wax-too-look-real candles. Since I had a coupon with those, this was a little more than the first two, but a total of about $16.

I have a super cute new one I am going to work on once I put my garage back together. :) I stole the idea from Kelli and LOVE LOVE it. Will have to post sometime. :)
So all this has got me wanting to post my other Money savin' creations. :) You may not be as impressed with me as I am - but that's ok. I get inspired looking at other peo
ples decor blogs. Maybe I can inspire someone on a budget. :)

Found this on the side of the road for free. Painted it black. Love it. Stores a ton and was less than $50. Most of the money was spent on the hard ware - and I haven't even put the bottom handles on yet. :)


Below is my Daughters Room. I read this saying and fell in love with it. Of course I would have done vinyl had I had my great price lady I do now. But the hand written turned out ok. Boards I stole from my father in law. Hand cut her

name out of
foam :)

Speaking of Foam. That is what I put on top of the curtains I made for her room. Cheap for sure! :) I glued material on 1/2 of them too.








Next up is Kaylee's room. :) Not much to show off. I did her crib set, only cost 20 to make which was nice. :) But I love this wall set because I stole it from a vinyl party but they wanted some $50 bucks for just vinyl that stuck to the wall. I got to do it 3-D and cheap style for about $22. Maybe less, it has been a while. :) And her name I am just impressed cause I painted it all on my own. Cost $3















Lastly are my flowers. I copied this from my friend Deanna. Little out of season now, but I love the fresh colors. It was my spring piece. Little spendy for me, but I was committed. :) So I think about $15 for this one.


So there you have it. My recycle me and cheap decor. :) The curtains behind my flowers were only $15 a panel. :) Just a side note. :)




7 comments:

Suzy said...

I'm very impressed. I didn't know you were so crafty. You inspire me to try harder.

mCat said...

They thanks for stopping by and I love this post! You definitely have one up on me, I couldn't handle a glue gun or paint a board if my life depended on it. In fact, at homemakeing meetings, they steer me towards the clean up duty..

Well done on all the decor, and I LOVE that saying in your daughters room!! Makes me wish I had daughters. For a nanosecond.

And if ya don't mind, I'll just blurk around a bit.... : )

Rogers Family said...

So cute Kristina. Wanna come do my house next? You are so creative. I wish I had some talent in that area. Adorable projects.

tammy said...

Love the saying! And you found that armoire? Are you kidding me? Everyone always finds all this cool stuff for free or cheap and I never can find a thing when I go looking. And what your sister said about the scarecrows is cracking me up.

(p.s. Isn't M-cat a hoot? I love her! She is a blogger I met in real life back in March)

Crowley Family said...

I love cheap decor. And it all looks great!

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Kristina! I love this! Can you come help me decorate Ethan and new baby's room sometime? I need some cheap ideas to get Justin excited about it too :) I LOVE the curtains you made. A-dorable! Also, I actually laughed out loud when I read the title of your post. Love it :)

Lisa said...

Wow--very nice. Not sure I could get all that done given a lifetime. Your girls are lucky to have such a creative mom (and your husband to have such a thrifty wife...). :)